Help & Support
Frequently Asked Questions:
General DSWA Questions
- Q) Is DSWA a state agency?
- A) No, though created by the General Assembly in 1975, DSWA is not a state agency. DSWA receives no state
or federal tax dollars.
- Q) If I have a question about a DSWA program or facility, who can I call?
- A) DSWA has a toll-free Citizens’ Response Line with operators available Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. The
number is 1-800-404-7080.
- Q) What does DSWA do?
- A) DSWA’s mission is to define, develop, and implement cost-effective plans and programs for solid waste
management which best serve Delaware and protect our public health and environment.
- Q) Where is DSWA’s main office located?
- A) DSWA’s Administrative Office is located at 1128 South Bradford Street in Dover, Delaware. The office is open
from 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday.
- Q) My organization would like someone to come and speak about DSWA. Do you have presenters who can do that?
- A) DSWA is committed to public education. If you would like to have a presenter at your meeting or school, please
contact one of our Public Information Coordinators through the Citizens’ Response Line at 1-800-404-7080.
- Q) Does DSWA have a Board of Directors?
- A) Yes, DSWA has a seven member Board of Directors that with the exception of its Chairman, who is appointed by
the State Senate, the Board is appointed by the Governor for three-year terms. Board members serve voluntarily and
without pay. Serving on the Board takes a strong commitment; given that they serve as a working group not an
advisory group attending, meetings, public hearings, workshops, and much more. The Board of Directors sets policies
and makes decisions regarding current operations, programs, and planning.
- Q) Does DSWA offer any recycling program?
- A) Yes, DSWA does offer several different programs for recycling. For
information on these programs, please visit the "Program" section of our website.
- Q) How can I locate the nearest DSWA landfill?
- A) To locate the landfill nearest you, please contact our Citizens’ Response Line at 1-800-404-7080 or see the Facilities & Locations link at left.