What types of items are considered household hazardous waste?
- You can bring the following items to a collection event:
- Product containers marked with words, “Warning: Hazardous,” “Flammable,” “Poisonous,” “Corrosive” or “Explosive.” See below for listing.
- HOUSE: Full aerosol cans, bleach, chemistry kits, nail polish, polish removers, perfumes, disinfectants, drain cleaners, floor wax, mercury thermometers, moth balls, oven cleaner, smoke detectors, spot remover, toilet cleaner
- EXPLOSIVES: Ammunition, firecrackers, gunpowder
- WORKSHOP: Corrosives, paints (other than latex), small compressed-gas cylinders, solvents, stains, strippers, thinners, varnish, wood preservatives, fluorescent bulbs
- GARDEN/YARD: Fungicides, herbicides, pesticides, pool chemicals
- AUTOMOTIVE: Antifreeze, auto batteries, degreasers, waste fuels – gasoline, kerosene, used motor oil mixed with other fuels
Are there any items that are not accepted at the HHW events?
- DSWA does not want the following items brought to a Household Hazardous Waste Event:
- FRIABLE ASBESTOS – Accepted by appointment only at Cherry Island Landfill for a fee.
- NON-FRIABLE ASBESTOS – Accepted by appointment at all DSWA landfills for a fee.
- UNKNOWN SUBSTANCES – Greater than 1 gallon or 8 pounds.
- RADIOACTIVE WASTE
- LATEX PAINT- Water-soluble is not hazardous. Can be taken to a landfill. Please solidify with kitty litter or sand. Also check with your garbage hauler to see if they will accept in solid form.
- CONTAINERS WITH LESS THAN 1″ OF MATERIAL – These can go in your regular trash.
- USED MOTOR OIL – Oil which has not been mixed with other fuels is accepted at specific DSWA Recycling Drop-off Centers.
- PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS – For safe disposal of prescription medications please see DSWA’s Household Hazardous Waste Program page.
When are Household Hazardous Waste Events held?
DSWA holds many Household Hazardous Waste events each year.
Click here for schedule.
If I cannot make it to a Household Hazardous Waste can I put these materials into my household trash?
While some items can placed in with your household trash, DSWA recommends that these items be brought to a Household Hazardous Waste event for safe disposal.
- November 3 @ 8:30 am - 2:00 pmat Delaware Recycling Center|Recurring Event (See all)
An event every month that begins at 8:30am on day First of the month, repeating indefinitely
- November 10 @ 8:00 am - 2:00 pm at University of Delaware- STAR Campus
Delaware Solid Waste Authority
1128 South Bradford Street
Dover, Delaware 19904
Citizens’ Response Line:
- DSWA expands recycling services at Jones Crossroads Landfill October 25, 2017
- DSWA expands services at Delaware Recycling Center May 30, 2017
- DSWA Expands Services At Cheswold Collection Station May 3, 2017